This has got to be the cutest thing I’ve seen in a long time! I’m so excited about this cake … mainly because it’s soooooooo easy to put one together. And this is the season to make it … when Just Born Peeps are easily available.
There are 3 different ways that you can create this cake depending on how much time you want to put into it.
- If time is severely limited, purchase a chocolate frosted cake and add the Peeps & chocolate chips
- If you have enough time to bake a cake and frost it, but don’t want to make anything from scratch, buy a cake mix and a tub of frosting. Bake, frost and then add the Peeps & chocolate chips
- If you like homemade cake and homemade frosting, then let your fine self rock those recipes then add the Peeps & chocolate chips
No matter which way you decide to go, TOUCHDOWN!! Score! The crowd roars … victory dance ensues!! You have a gorgeous Easter dessert that folks will be talking about for months to come!
When I created my cake, I embellished it a bit differently from the original on the Just Born site. I positioned the peeps so that they hang half way off the edge of the cake to make them look more like sunflower petals. At least I thought they did … don’t you agree?
I also dumped the chocolate chips on the top instead of placing them. I liked the look better — and it sure was a whole lot easier. On the whole I really like the way mine turned out. In any event, it’s so totally CUTE! Even the hubster took photos to send to friends and family.
As an FYI, I plan on also waiting until next week when Easter candy is on sale for 50% off and then I’ll buy a few extra packets of Peeps. Then if I find I need a quick and easy dessert during the summer or fall (Peeps come in different colors — who knew??) I’ll have Peeps on hand to make this cake during non-Peep season!
- 1 2-layer 9″ cake, frosted with chocolate frosting
- 2 packages Just Born Yellow Easter Peeps
- 1 package Milk Chocolate or Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips (11-12 oz.)
- Green Easter Grass, optional
- Bake cake and frost as desired or remove frosted cake from bakery box if purchased
- Set in center of large cake tray
- Separate yellow peeps so they can be placed individually.
- Place peeps one at a time around perimeter of the cake. Set the “tail” of the Peep so that it hangs off the edge of the cake. Press firmly into the frosting to secure. If frosting is dry, dampen bottom of the peep where it meets the frosting.
- Place each Peep right up against the next. Keep adding Peeps until the entire edge of the cake is covered with Peeps. These peeps will make the petals of the sunflower
- Now it’s time to add the sunflower “seeds” to the middle of the cake
- Take the chocolate chips and shake them into the center frosted area of the cake. Keep adding them until the frosting is covered. There’s no need to arrange them, just shake them out and scoot the stubborn ones where you need them to be
- If you have room around the edges of the cake platter, you can arrange green Easter grass to complete the look. (It also helps hide plastic trays.)
- Cover with a cake saver or cling wrap until time to serve.